PLEASE NOTE: Due to the developing situation with COVID-19, this event has been postponed.
This one day course will povide an understanding of the mental health needs of asylum seeking and refugee children and will enable participants to confidently use trauma-informed approaches to support them.
The day will be a mix of presentation, video, discussion and case study to build understanding. This will include recognising the physical and emotional symptoms and the mechanisms underlying the fight or flight response as well as considering practical approaches to what can help us to manage the effects of stress.
It will explore resilience based options that can support trauma informed practice as a way of building children’s capacity to manage stress and adversity.
- Gaining a basic understanding of the definitions of mental health specifically for young people
- Understanding the specific risk factors young asylum seekers and refugees face pre and post arrival
- Understand the impact of trauma and chronic adversity on children and young people as well as their families
- Explore how trauma can manifest in young asylum seeking and refugee children and young people
- Develop resilience based approaches to working with children and young people who have experienced trauma
- Explore how trauma can impact those who work with it
- How the system we work in can be more trauma informed
The training is designed to be evidence based, inter-professional, reflective and informed by children and young people’s voices.
This training is delivered by Young Minds www.youngminds.org.uk
For further information or if you have any queries, please contact Gosia Strona, Senior Manager, Strategic Migration Partnership, email: Malgorzata.Strona@eelga.gov.uk telephone: 07920257947
If you would like to be informed when a new date is arranged please email Gosia with your contact details. Please note: you do not need to do this if you booked a place on the original date as an email will automatically be sent to you.
Asylum Seekers, Unaccompanied Minors13th October 2022
Triple Planning, Human Right Assessment and working with individuals who are Appeals Rights Exhausted TrainingThis course is for Local Authority social workers/personal advisors/team managers/local authority legal teams...Read more
Asylum Seekers, Unaccompanied Minors6th October 2022
Age Assessment TrainingThis course is for Local Authority Social Workers working with unaccompanied asylum seeking...Read more
13th July 2022
Working with Interpreters - Information Workshop for London Maternity Staff - JulyWorking with Interpreters in Maternity CareRead more